Dulce, New Mexico
The eighties, which saw mining exploration throughout the mountain west and an era of railroading, brought prospectors into the mountains of northern Ro Arriba County. The Denver and Ro Grande Western Railroad was extended south from Alamos, Colorado over the top of the divide in the area of Cumbres Pass and down to Chama in 1880. Track was laid north westward through Lumberton and Dulce to connect with Durango, Colorado in 1881.
When the railroad first built into Dulce in 1881, no one was to sure about who owned what in that part of the country. Nevertheless, they managed to divide the place up - with all interested parties getting some, the Indians, the white men, the government, and the railroad.
Dulce depot was a stop on the D&RG on what they called the San Juan Extension. It was named for a spring about 4mi south of the town. The San Juan Extension was finished in 1881. The town of Dulce came to prominence when the Jicarilla Agency was established in 1901 to handle affairs for the Jicarilla Indian Reservation. It was the only stop on the reservation.
• Length: 3 5/8"
• Width: 3"
This kit features:
• Laser cut wood for easy assembly
• Peel-and-Stick shingles
• Simple step by step instructions
• Proudly made in the USA
This kit contains small parts and is not intended for small children.
© Bollinger Edgerly Scale Trains. Legal.